Israel`s gift for Krishna: A tennis racquet
Jerusalem: Blending diplomacy with sports, Israel`s Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman presented a tennis racquet embossed with signatures of leading national players to his Indian counterpart SM Krishna, an ardent tennis fan.
Presenting the racket to Krishna at a joint press conference after wide-ranging talks here, Lieberman, also Israel`s deputy prime minister, spoke in a lighter vein about Krishna`s passion for tennis.
Krishna was pleasantly surprised. He was also presented an intricately designed plaque that commemorates the 20th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between India and Israel.
The 79-year-old Krishna is known to play tennis whenever he can find time, specially when he is visiting Bangalore, the IT hub whose transformation he presided over as the chief minister of Karnataka.
He is the life-long president of the All Indian Lawn Tennis Association and president of the Karnataka Tennis Association. Last year, Krishna extended his stay in London to watch tennis at Wimbledon.
Krishna Monday began a two-day visit to Israel, the first by an Indian foreign minister to that country in the last 11 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev