Israel`s gift for Krishna: A tennis racquet
Jerusalem: Blending diplomacy with sports, Israel`s Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman presented a tennis racquet embossed with signatures of leading national players to his Indian counterpart SM Krishna, an ardent tennis fan.
Presenting the racket to Krishna at a joint press conference after wide-ranging talks here, Lieberman, also Israel`s deputy prime minister, spoke in a lighter vein about Krishna`s passion for tennis.
Krishna was pleasantly surprised. He was also presented an intricately designed plaque that commemorates the 20th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between India and Israel.
The 79-year-old Krishna is known to play tennis whenever he can find time, specially when he is visiting Bangalore, the IT hub whose transformation he presided over as the chief minister of Karnataka.
He is the life-long president of the All Indian Lawn Tennis Association and president of the Karnataka Tennis Association. Last year, Krishna extended his stay in London to watch tennis at Wimbledon.
Krishna Monday began a two-day visit to Israel, the first by an Indian foreign minister to that country in the last 11 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?