Israel`s military chief sorry for women`s `joke`
Jerusalem: Israel`s military chief has apologized for what he says was meant to be a joke about female soldiers.
The military has been under fire since a group of religious soldiers walked out of an event where female soldiers were allowed to sing. Some devout Jews consider the female voice arousing.
Lt Gen. Benny Gantz was caught on tape making light of the affair with Defense Minister Ehud Barak during a tour of northern Israel on Tuesday,
On the tape, Barak is heard asking where the "girls" are and Gantz responds that they are on a break. He says: "They sing on breaks."
Israeli lawmakers and women`s groups denounced the exchange as chauvinistic.
The men said Wednesday they were making light of the recent debate over the marginalization of women. In a statement, Gantz apologized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!