Israel`s military chief sorry for women`s `joke`
Jerusalem: Israel`s military chief has apologized for what he says was meant to be a joke about female soldiers.
The military has been under fire since a group of religious soldiers walked out of an event where female soldiers were allowed to sing. Some devout Jews consider the female voice arousing.
Lt Gen. Benny Gantz was caught on tape making light of the affair with Defense Minister Ehud Barak during a tour of northern Israel on Tuesday,
On the tape, Barak is heard asking where the "girls" are and Gantz responds that they are on a break. He says: "They sing on breaks."
Israeli lawmakers and women`s groups denounced the exchange as chauvinistic.
The men said Wednesday they were making light of the recent debate over the marginalization of women. In a statement, Gantz apologized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh