Israel`s military chief sorry for women`s `joke`
Jerusalem: Israel`s military chief has apologized for what he says was meant to be a joke about female soldiers.
The military has been under fire since a group of religious soldiers walked out of an event where female soldiers were allowed to sing. Some devout Jews consider the female voice arousing.
Lt Gen. Benny Gantz was caught on tape making light of the affair with Defense Minister Ehud Barak during a tour of northern Israel on Tuesday,
On the tape, Barak is heard asking where the "girls" are and Gantz responds that they are on a break. He says: "They sing on breaks."
Israeli lawmakers and women`s groups denounced the exchange as chauvinistic.
The men said Wednesday they were making light of the recent debate over the marginalization of women. In a statement, Gantz apologized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra