Israel`s military chief to visit Auschwitz
Jerusalem: The Israeli military says its chief of staff will head a delegation to a Holocaust memorial at the site of the Nazi death camp Auschwitz.
Lt Gen Benny Gantz, the son of Holocaust survivors, left for Poland today as Israel prepared for its Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day commemorations.
Six million Jews were systematically murdered by German Nazis and their collaborators in the Holocaust of World War II, wiping out a third of world Jewry.
The Israeli military said Gantz will be welcomed in a military ceremony.
Gantz will later meet with Poland`s defence minister and chief of staff.
He will place a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Warsaw, the military said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test