Israel`s military chief to visit Auschwitz
Jerusalem: The Israeli military says its chief of staff will head a delegation to a Holocaust memorial at the site of the Nazi death camp Auschwitz.
Lt Gen Benny Gantz, the son of Holocaust survivors, left for Poland today as Israel prepared for its Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day commemorations.
Six million Jews were systematically murdered by German Nazis and their collaborators in the Holocaust of World War II, wiping out a third of world Jewry.
The Israeli military said Gantz will be welcomed in a military ceremony.
Gantz will later meet with Poland`s defence minister and chief of staff.
He will place a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Warsaw, the military said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'