Israel’s missile defence system to leave citizens exposed in ‘event of war’: Official
London: Israel’s missile defence system is likely to leave the civilian population exposed to an incoming barrage of rockets in the event of a war, one of the top commanders in the country has said.
Major General Eyal Eisenberg, head of the home front command, made the remarks as Israel’s defence system is deployed to protect key strategic and military sites.
Despite the success of the Iron Dome anti-missile batteries at intercepting rockets launched from Gaza during November`s eight-day conflict, the five units currently operational are insufficient to protect against the superior firepower of Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Hezbollah has about 5,000 warheads in its arsenal, Eisenberg said.
The area around Tel Aviv, Israel`s major metropolis, will come under a massive missile barrage, he added.
Eisenberg said that he is preparing for a ‘scenario in which more than a thousand missiles and rockets a day are fired at the civilian rear.’
Instead of being in the rear, Israeli citizens would find themselves ‘on a second front,’ he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands