Israel’s missile defence system to leave citizens exposed in ‘event of war’: Official
London: Israel’s missile defence system is likely to leave the civilian population exposed to an incoming barrage of rockets in the event of a war, one of the top commanders in the country has said.
Major General Eyal Eisenberg, head of the home front command, made the remarks as Israel’s defence system is deployed to protect key strategic and military sites.
Despite the success of the Iron Dome anti-missile batteries at intercepting rockets launched from Gaza during November`s eight-day conflict, the five units currently operational are insufficient to protect against the superior firepower of Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Hezbollah has about 5,000 warheads in its arsenal, Eisenberg said.
The area around Tel Aviv, Israel`s major metropolis, will come under a massive missile barrage, he added.
Eisenberg said that he is preparing for a ‘scenario in which more than a thousand missiles and rockets a day are fired at the civilian rear.’
Instead of being in the rear, Israeli citizens would find themselves ‘on a second front,’ he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'