Israel’s missile defence system to leave citizens exposed in ‘event of war’: Official
London: Israel’s missile defence system is likely to leave the civilian population exposed to an incoming barrage of rockets in the event of a war, one of the top commanders in the country has said.
Major General Eyal Eisenberg, head of the home front command, made the remarks as Israel’s defence system is deployed to protect key strategic and military sites.
Despite the success of the Iron Dome anti-missile batteries at intercepting rockets launched from Gaza during November`s eight-day conflict, the five units currently operational are insufficient to protect against the superior firepower of Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Hezbollah has about 5,000 warheads in its arsenal, Eisenberg said.
The area around Tel Aviv, Israel`s major metropolis, will come under a massive missile barrage, he added.
Eisenberg said that he is preparing for a ‘scenario in which more than a thousand missiles and rockets a day are fired at the civilian rear.’
Instead of being in the rear, Israeli citizens would find themselves ‘on a second front,’ he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?