Israel’s missile defence system to leave citizens exposed in ‘event of war’: Official
London: Israel’s missile defence system is likely to leave the civilian population exposed to an incoming barrage of rockets in the event of a war, one of the top commanders in the country has said.
Major General Eyal Eisenberg, head of the home front command, made the remarks as Israel’s defence system is deployed to protect key strategic and military sites.
Despite the success of the Iron Dome anti-missile batteries at intercepting rockets launched from Gaza during November`s eight-day conflict, the five units currently operational are insufficient to protect against the superior firepower of Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Hezbollah has about 5,000 warheads in its arsenal, Eisenberg said.
The area around Tel Aviv, Israel`s major metropolis, will come under a massive missile barrage, he added.
Eisenberg said that he is preparing for a ‘scenario in which more than a thousand missiles and rockets a day are fired at the civilian rear.’
Instead of being in the rear, Israeli citizens would find themselves ‘on a second front,’ he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Juno probe to make its closest approach to Jupiter tomorrow!
- SHOCKING! Diego Maradona claims Lionel Messi 'staged' international retirement - Here's why
- Marijuana compound may improve night vision
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official