Israel`s Peres puts `secret talks disguise` on Facebook
Jerusalem: Israel`s President Shimon Peres on Friday posted photos on Facebook of disguises he wore in the 1970s to travel undetected to Arab neighbour Jordan for secret negotiations.
Peres posted the photos to coincide with the Jewish religious festival Purim, which features carnival costumes, fireworks and toy guns.
"Purim is a great time (to) dress up but not the only time," Peres wrote.
"This is the disguise I wore in the mid-seventies when I would go to my meetings with King Hussein of Jordan before signing the peace agreements."
Peres appears in a faded photo on Facebook sporting a bushy brown moustache, clearly wearing a wig, atop of which balances a beige fedora hat.
Beneath the image are two passport-style photos of him wearing glasses and a fake beard.
Peres was defence minister in the mid-1970s, some two decades before Israel and Jordan signed a peace treaty in 1994.
From Sunday, religious Jews will start the traditional reading of the Book of Esther, while both they and their secular counterparts celebrate Purim by dressing up.
Peres`s Facebook posting had received nearly 6,000 "likes" just a few hours after he posted it, and Israelis joined in by posting pictures of themselves and their children dressed up for Purim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day