Israel`s Peres puts `secret talks disguise` on Facebook
Jerusalem: Israel`s President Shimon Peres on Friday posted photos on Facebook of disguises he wore in the 1970s to travel undetected to Arab neighbour Jordan for secret negotiations.
Peres posted the photos to coincide with the Jewish religious festival Purim, which features carnival costumes, fireworks and toy guns.
"Purim is a great time (to) dress up but not the only time," Peres wrote.
"This is the disguise I wore in the mid-seventies when I would go to my meetings with King Hussein of Jordan before signing the peace agreements."
Peres appears in a faded photo on Facebook sporting a bushy brown moustache, clearly wearing a wig, atop of which balances a beige fedora hat.
Beneath the image are two passport-style photos of him wearing glasses and a fake beard.
Peres was defence minister in the mid-1970s, some two decades before Israel and Jordan signed a peace treaty in 1994.
From Sunday, religious Jews will start the traditional reading of the Book of Esther, while both they and their secular counterparts celebrate Purim by dressing up.
Peres`s Facebook posting had received nearly 6,000 "likes" just a few hours after he posted it, and Israelis joined in by posting pictures of themselves and their children dressed up for Purim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma