Israel`s premier vows to build in Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Israel`s prime minister vowed on Tuesday to continue building in a contested Jerusalem district, just days after European Union criticism of Jewish housing there.
Benjamin Netanyahu was speaking during a visit to Gilo after Israeli approval for the construction of 800 Jewish homes there sparked a sharp condemnation from EU foreign affairs Chief Catherine Ashton. She is set to visit Israel tomorrow.
Israel captured Gilo in the 1967 Mideast war from Jordan. Then it annexed the area to Jerusalem in a move that has not been recognised internationally. The Gilo district is close to Bethlehem in the West Bank.
Netanyahu said Jerusalem is "Israel`s eternal capital" during the visit to Gilo and said Israel has every right to build there.
"We have built in Jerusalem, we are building in Jerusalem and we will continue to build in Jerusalem, this is our policy, and I will continue to support building in Jerusalem," Netanyahu said.
During the visit, Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat thanked Netanyahu for the resources to allow development and growth. "We will continue to build tens of thousands of apartments throughout the city," he said.
The fate of Jerusalem is one of the most emotional issues in long-stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts, because of key sites there that are sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims.
Palestinians claim the eastern part of Jerusalem as the capital of their future state, along with the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days