Israel`s premier vows to build in Jerusalem
Jerusalem: Israel`s prime minister vowed on Tuesday to continue building in a contested Jerusalem district, just days after European Union criticism of Jewish housing there.
Benjamin Netanyahu was speaking during a visit to Gilo after Israeli approval for the construction of 800 Jewish homes there sparked a sharp condemnation from EU foreign affairs Chief Catherine Ashton. She is set to visit Israel tomorrow.
Israel captured Gilo in the 1967 Mideast war from Jordan. Then it annexed the area to Jerusalem in a move that has not been recognised internationally. The Gilo district is close to Bethlehem in the West Bank.
Netanyahu said Jerusalem is "Israel`s eternal capital" during the visit to Gilo and said Israel has every right to build there.
"We have built in Jerusalem, we are building in Jerusalem and we will continue to build in Jerusalem, this is our policy, and I will continue to support building in Jerusalem," Netanyahu said.
During the visit, Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat thanked Netanyahu for the resources to allow development and growth. "We will continue to build tens of thousands of apartments throughout the city," he said.
The fate of Jerusalem is one of the most emotional issues in long-stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts, because of key sites there that are sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims.
Palestinians claim the eastern part of Jerusalem as the capital of their future state, along with the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read