Israel’s President OKs release of ailing Palestinian
Jerusalem: Israel`s President says he has approved the release of an ailing Palestinian prisoner on humanitarian grounds.
Shimon Peres noted in a statement that Mohammed al-Taj has served two-thirds of a 14-year sentence. It described al-Taj as a "security prisoner", a term used for those convicted of involvement in violence against Israelis.
"The decision to release him was taken on humanitarian grounds as the prisoner was ill with a serious medical condition," the statement said. It gave no further details.
The President`s decision comes weeks after another security prisoner died of cancer while in Israeli custody. The death sparked violent anti-Israel demonstrations in the West Bank, where Palestinian prisoners are honoured as heroes fighting Israeli occupation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi