Israel’s President OKs release of ailing Palestinian
Jerusalem: Israel`s President says he has approved the release of an ailing Palestinian prisoner on humanitarian grounds.
Shimon Peres noted in a statement that Mohammed al-Taj has served two-thirds of a 14-year sentence. It described al-Taj as a "security prisoner", a term used for those convicted of involvement in violence against Israelis.
"The decision to release him was taken on humanitarian grounds as the prisoner was ill with a serious medical condition," the statement said. It gave no further details.
The President`s decision comes weeks after another security prisoner died of cancer while in Israeli custody. The death sparked violent anti-Israel demonstrations in the West Bank, where Palestinian prisoners are honoured as heroes fighting Israeli occupation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Christians should ask gay community for forgiveness for past treatment: Pope Francis
- Can you SPOT Aamir Khan in this picture? SEE inside
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way