Israel’s President OKs release of ailing Palestinian
Jerusalem: Israel`s President says he has approved the release of an ailing Palestinian prisoner on humanitarian grounds.
Shimon Peres noted in a statement that Mohammed al-Taj has served two-thirds of a 14-year sentence. It described al-Taj as a "security prisoner", a term used for those convicted of involvement in violence against Israelis.
"The decision to release him was taken on humanitarian grounds as the prisoner was ill with a serious medical condition," the statement said. It gave no further details.
The President`s decision comes weeks after another security prisoner died of cancer while in Israeli custody. The death sparked violent anti-Israel demonstrations in the West Bank, where Palestinian prisoners are honoured as heroes fighting Israeli occupation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies