Istanbul police fire tear gas on protest over Internet curbs
Istanbul: Turkish riot police in Istanbul fired tear gas and water cannon today at around 3,000 people protesting new legislation tightening control of the Internet.
Police took action to push protesters away from the city`s Taksim Square, a focal rally point, an AFP reporter said.
Protesters responded by hurling fireworks at police, who detained dozens of people, according to media reports.
"Government, resign!" the demonstrators chanted. "Do not touch my Internet!"
"Everywhere is Taksim, everywhere is resistance," they shouted, echoing a chant often heard during the huge anti-government protests that swept the country in June.
The controversial law came into effect last Wednesday after it was signed by Turkish President Abdullah Gul despite repeated calls for a veto.
It gives the telecoms authority the power to order a webpage blocked if the content is deemed to infringe privacy or is offensive.
The new curbs have sparked alarm at home and abroad, with critics saying they are an attempt to stifle dissent and stop evidence of high-level corruption being seen online.
Earlier today, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan again denied accusations of online censorship, to a crowd of several thousand supporters in the city of Sivas.
"We are not against the Internet, we are against the `immoral` items on the Internet," Erdogan said at a rally marking the kick-start of his party`s local election campaign.
"We have just taken steps to prevent our children from being poisoned," he said.
The legislation came as Erdogan deals with a wide-ranging graft scandal that erupted in mid-December, implicating his inner circle.
The embattled premier has accused US-exiled Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, whose supporters hold key positions in the police and the judiciary, of instigating the probe ahead of local polls on March 30.
His government has taken a series of retaliatory measures, including a mass purge of police and prosecutors and legislation reforming the judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!