Istanbul`s Grand Bazaar turns 550
Istanbul: Over 3,000 people gathered on Sunday in Istanbul`s historic Grand Bazaar to celebrate its 550th anniversary.
Established in 1461 by Mehmed the Conqueror eight years after the conquest of Istanbul, the Grand Bazaar is one of the biggest covered bazaars in the world.
It has 58 covered streets and over 1,200 shops that attract between 250,000 to 400,000 visitors daily.
Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu said that 550 years ago, Mehmed picked Istanbul to become the centre of world trade and the city was going to do whatever it needed to maintain this tradition.
"The Grand Bazaar has done well in protecting its historic mission, and people from all around the world gather here to smell its unique air," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'