Istanbul`s Grand Bazaar turns 550
Istanbul: Over 3,000 people gathered on Sunday in Istanbul`s historic Grand Bazaar to celebrate its 550th anniversary.
Established in 1461 by Mehmed the Conqueror eight years after the conquest of Istanbul, the Grand Bazaar is one of the biggest covered bazaars in the world.
It has 58 covered streets and over 1,200 shops that attract between 250,000 to 400,000 visitors daily.
Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu said that 550 years ago, Mehmed picked Istanbul to become the centre of world trade and the city was going to do whatever it needed to maintain this tradition.
"The Grand Bazaar has done well in protecting its historic mission, and people from all around the world gather here to smell its unique air," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?