Istanbul`s Grand Bazaar turns 550
Istanbul: Over 3,000 people gathered on Sunday in Istanbul`s historic Grand Bazaar to celebrate its 550th anniversary.
Established in 1461 by Mehmed the Conqueror eight years after the conquest of Istanbul, the Grand Bazaar is one of the biggest covered bazaars in the world.
It has 58 covered streets and over 1,200 shops that attract between 250,000 to 400,000 visitors daily.
Istanbul Governor Huseyin Avni Mutlu said that 550 years ago, Mehmed picked Istanbul to become the centre of world trade and the city was going to do whatever it needed to maintain this tradition.
"The Grand Bazaar has done well in protecting its historic mission, and people from all around the world gather here to smell its unique air," he was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!