`Italian blast linked to individual not mafia group`

Last Updated: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 15:07

Rome: A bomb blast that occurred outside a school in southern Italian town of Brindisi, which killed a teenage girl, was reportedly the work of an individual rather than a mafia group, according to a senior investigator.

Marco Dinapoli, the Brindisi chief prosecutor, said that it is unlikely that organised crime groups were involved.

"It seems to be the work of a single person," Sky News quoted Dinapoli as saying.

He said there was clearly a wish to carry out a massacre.

Dinapoli, who is leading the investigation, said that a suspect had already been identified.

"The most probable hypothesis is that it was an isolated act," he said but gave no details about the suspect.

The person or persons who carried out the attack were familiar with the school`s routines and had chosen the exact moment to strike, he said, emphasising that the attackers were "expert at electronics".

Dinapoli said investigators had acquired "significant" video evidence against the culprit.

He added that the footage suggested that one man had set off the device.

The bomb went off close to the Francesca Morvillo Falcone School, which is named after the wife of anti-mafia judge Giovanni Falcone.

ANI



First Published: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 15:02

comments powered by Disqus