Italian cardinal calls for a younger successor to Pope
Rome: Pope Benedict`s successor needs to be a younger man, the Vicar-General of Rome Cardinal Agostino Vallini said Friday.
Benedict`s papacy ended Thursday and cardinals have said they want to elect a new pontiff by Easter.
"I believe that the Church needs a pope with more youthful strength and vigour," Vallini said.
He said no one yet knew what intellectual role Benedict might have during his retirement in a monastery inside the Vatican.
"However, I believe we can`t deny ourselves the wisdom of his great teachings which will be an increasingly important reference point in the future," Vallini said.
Angelo Sodano, dean of the College of Cardinals, Friday summoned the prelates to meet in general congregations starting Monday to discuss the problems facing the Church and set a date for the start of the secret election, or conclave, to elect Benedict`s successor.
Benedict`s surprise abdication at the age of 85 on grounds of age and failing physical and mental strength has been openly criticised by Australia`s most senior Catholic, Cardinal George Pell, and by Poland`s Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz.
Benedict`s successor will be chosen by 115 cardinal-electors (those younger than 80 years) through ballot held in the Vatican`s Sistine Chapel.
A two-thirds-plus-one vote majority is required. Sixty-seven of the electors were appointed by Benedict XVI, and the remainder by his predecessor John Paul II.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore