Italian court fines man for calling Italy `shit country`
Rome: The Supreme Court of Cassation in Italy convicted a pensioner of "contempt for the nation" and fined him 1,000 euros after the man called Italy a "shit country".
The ruling came after Italy`s paramilitary Carabinieri police force took the 71-year-old man to court for saying "What a shit country Italy is. Why are you wasting time with such crap", to officers who fined him for driving on a single headlamp.
The court rejected the man`s claim that his words were a rightful expression of free thought.
"Freedom of expression cannot translate into coarse and brutal insults that do not correspond to objective criticism," it said in its sentence.
Interpreting the crime, the court said: "To vilify the nation, it is not necessary to commit hostile or violent acts or to display hatred. Insulting the prestige or honour of the Italian people is sufficient."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why