Italian ex-minister held over mafia links
Naples: Italy`s former minister and lawmaker Nicola Cosentino has been detained after he lost his immunity from prosecution for association with the local Camorra mafia and for corruption.
Cosentino was not re-elected to the new Italian parliament. He was barred by former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party from running in the election.
Cosentino, a businessman who was a junior economy minister in the last Berlusconi government, stepped down in July 2011.
His resignation came days before a no-confidence vote that followed allegations he was part of a secret society aimed at networking and influencing the country`s power establishment. Such organisations are illegal in Italy.
Costentino is accused of pressuring Italy`s largest bank UniCredit to provide a line of credit to a company with alleged links to the Camorra to build a shopping centre.
He is also accused of doing business with the Camorra over the illegal disposal of rubbish in Naples.
Prosecutors also allege he was involved in voting fraud in the 2007 and 2010 local elections.
A close ally of Berlusconi, he was the party`s regional coordinator in Campania region around Naples and made a 2010 bid to run for regional governor.
In December 2009, the Italian parliament rejected a request for Cosentino`s arrest and in September 2010 politicians in a secret ballot voted in favour of forbidding prosecutors from using telephone taps of conversations between Consentino and businessmen suspected of having ties with organised crime.
Cosentino denies any wrongdoing.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed