Italian fishing boat rescues 103 migrants at sea
Rome: An Italian fishing trawler rescued 103
migrants including 21 women and one child on Sunday on a boat that
was taking on water and brought them to the southern island of
Lampedusa, the coast guard said.
The fishermen spotted the boat some 57 nautical miles
south of Lampedusa -- a tiny outcrop that is closer to the
shores of North Africa than to the Italian mainland -- and
took the migrants on board.
Coast guard spokesman Filippo Marini said the
nationalities of the migrants or the country from which they
set sail had not yet been determined.
"They have been taken to the migrant centre and are all
in good health," the coast guard said in a statement, adding
that two of the women were pregnant.
Tens of thousands of people arrived on rickety boats on
Lampedusa last year, including migrants fleeing the
post-revolutionary economic turmoil in Tunisia and African
migrant workers fleeing the escalating conflict in Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama