Italian fishing boat rescues 103 migrants at sea
Rome: An Italian fishing trawler rescued 103
migrants including 21 women and one child on Sunday on a boat that
was taking on water and brought them to the southern island of
Lampedusa, the coast guard said.
The fishermen spotted the boat some 57 nautical miles
south of Lampedusa -- a tiny outcrop that is closer to the
shores of North Africa than to the Italian mainland -- and
took the migrants on board.
Coast guard spokesman Filippo Marini said the
nationalities of the migrants or the country from which they
set sail had not yet been determined.
"They have been taken to the migrant centre and are all
in good health," the coast guard said in a statement, adding
that two of the women were pregnant.
Tens of thousands of people arrived on rickety boats on
Lampedusa last year, including migrants fleeing the
post-revolutionary economic turmoil in Tunisia and African
migrant workers fleeing the escalating conflict in Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- REVEALED: Pullela Gopichand's mother's SECRET advice which motivated PV Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth in Rio
- Leicester City ready to make further investments in squad: Official
- Two die as car swept by Yamuna
- Pakistani official visiting Belarus, Kazakhstan over NSG membership
- Anil Ambani's elder son Jai Anmol joins Reliance Capital board