Italian fishing boat rescues 103 migrants at sea
Rome: An Italian fishing trawler rescued 103
migrants including 21 women and one child on Sunday on a boat that
was taking on water and brought them to the southern island of
Lampedusa, the coast guard said.
The fishermen spotted the boat some 57 nautical miles
south of Lampedusa -- a tiny outcrop that is closer to the
shores of North Africa than to the Italian mainland -- and
took the migrants on board.
Coast guard spokesman Filippo Marini said the
nationalities of the migrants or the country from which they
set sail had not yet been determined.
"They have been taken to the migrant centre and are all
in good health," the coast guard said in a statement, adding
that two of the women were pregnant.
Tens of thousands of people arrived on rickety boats on
Lampedusa last year, including migrants fleeing the
post-revolutionary economic turmoil in Tunisia and African
migrant workers fleeing the escalating conflict in Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened