Italian government wins confidence vote
Rome: Italy`s coalition government Wednesday won a confidence vote in the Senate on a labour decree which is going through parliamentary procedure to be converted into law.
The decree, which has to go back to the lower chamber for further review, had 158 "yes" votes against 122 "no" votes, Xinhua reported.
The centre-left Democratic Party (PD), of which Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is the leader, and its junior partner, the New Center-Right (NCD), supported the government.
The Five-Star Movement (M5S) of former comedian Beppe Grillo and centre-right Forza Italia (FI) of three-time premier Silvio Berlusconi -- both in the opposition -- voted against.
Wednesday`s move came only days after the government won another confidence vote in the lower chamber on the same decree, which had been introduced in March to ease bureaucracy in a country which counts more than three million citizens without a job.
Decrees in Italy are issued in special cases by the government and must be converted into a law within 60 days of their publication.
The government decided to put the labour decree to confidence vote in both the chambers to speed parliamentary procedure after changes from its original version aroused controversy among Renzi`s allies.
The two confidence votes were considered by political observers as a risky move as the government would have likely collapsed if it had failed to win confidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues