Italian imam held for human trafficking
Venice: A radical Muslim imam and three Syrian nationals were arrested in Italy Wednesday on suspicion of belonging to a human trafficking gang that smuggled illegal migrants from the Middle East to Italy.
Police believe the unnamed imam from San Dona` di Piave near Venice was funnelling cash from the trafficking racket to international jihadist groups.
The illegal migrants paid "large sums" to the gang to be smuggled into Italy, where some were employed on building sites run by the imam and his brothers, police said.
Souad Sbai, Italian MP of Moroccan origin, welcomed the arrests.
"These people are dangerous, not only for immigrants who want to live honestly, but also for their hosts who don`t really know who or what is behind the many self-styled imams living in Italy," Sbai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan