Italian mayor killed in Mafia-like execution
Rome: A southern Italian mayor hailed for his commitment to fighting organised crime has been killed in a Mafia-style execution.
News report and the local prosecutor say Angelo Vassallo was found dead in the village of Acciaroli, his body riddled by bullets. The ANSA news agency said the 57-year-old was shot today in his car near his home.
The prosecutor leading the investigation, Alfredo Greco, says the killing bore the hallmarks of a "nasty execution" and said Vassallo`s "corpse is riddled by bullets”.
The prosecutor also tells Sky Italia that he believed Vassallo was killed because he "opposed illegality”.
The coastal village is about 95 miles south of Naples in a region plagued by the Camorra crime syndicate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!