Italian miner slits wrist during press conference
Rome: An Italian miner, who along with other workers occupied a coal mine on the island of Sardinia, slit his wrist during a press conference on Wednesday to protest a lack of investment in the dying coal industry.
"Is this what we have to do," the miner shouted at the press conference, before being whisked away to a nurse by his co-workers. He was later taken to a hospital.
The miners said they were willing to take "extreme measures".
The press conference was held in front of a storage area containing almost 700 kg of explosives.
Around 40 workers on Sunday occupied a mine 400 metres below the ground. They are calling for the government and Italian electricity giant Enel to invest in carbon-storage and so-called clean-coal technology.
Sardinia, once one of Italy`s most active mining areas, has seen the sector dying as companies board up shafts and move elsewhere to extract valuable minerals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'