Italian miner slits wrist during press conference
Rome: An Italian miner, who along with other workers occupied a coal mine on the island of Sardinia, slit his wrist during a press conference on Wednesday to protest a lack of investment in the dying coal industry.
"Is this what we have to do," the miner shouted at the press conference, before being whisked away to a nurse by his co-workers. He was later taken to a hospital.
The miners said they were willing to take "extreme measures".
The press conference was held in front of a storage area containing almost 700 kg of explosives.
Around 40 workers on Sunday occupied a mine 400 metres below the ground. They are calling for the government and Italian electricity giant Enel to invest in carbon-storage and so-called clean-coal technology.
Sardinia, once one of Italy`s most active mining areas, has seen the sector dying as companies board up shafts and move elsewhere to extract valuable minerals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa