Italian official held for 10-mn-euro graft

Last Updated: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 11:18

Rome: A former senior official in the Italian government has been arrested on suspicion of embezzling 10 million euros of interior ministry funds, said police.

Francesco La Motta was the director of the interior ministry`s Religious Buildings Foundation between 2003 and 2006. The foundation administers more than 700 Catholic churches and museums and books and works of art contained in them.

Prosecutors are probing La Motta for allegedly transferring into a Swiss bank account the 10 million euros earmarked for preservation of churches and cultural assets.

The Swiss bank account was later emptied, said prosecutors.

Former banker Klaus Beherend, cinema producer Eduardo Tartaglia and broker Rocco Zullino were also arrested on Friday in connection with the probe, said police.

La Motta is also at the centre of a separate judicial probe in Naples into alleged money-laundering by the local mafia or Camorra. Judges have so far seized a billion euros of assets from the Polverino crime family.


Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.

First Published: Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 11:18

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus