Italian Parliament dissolved, elections to be held in February
Rome: Italian President Giorgio Napolitano has dissolved the country`s Parliament, the latest development in the ongoing political crisis.
Parliamentary elections are likely to be held Feb 24, 2013, as under Italian law a date for the vote should be set within 70 days of the dissolution of parliament.
Former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has already declared his intention to take part in the elections.
On Saturday, Napolitano met representatives of the country`s parliamentary political parties and groups at his Quirinal Palace residence. The dissolution of parliament was the only way out of the situation, he said.
Prime Minister Mario Monti announced his intention to resign Dec 8, several days after Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party made it clear they would no longer support the technocratic government that formed following Berlusconi`s resignation in November 2011.
In the days that followed, Berlusconi launched repeated attacks on Monti`s policies, accusing him of damaging the country`s economy and even of implementing policies that benefit third countries, such as Germany.
Monti resigned Dec 21, claiming that he was keeping his word - stepping down once Parliament had passed his controversial austerity budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day