Italian Parliament dissolved, elections to be held in February
Rome: Italian President Giorgio Napolitano has dissolved the country`s Parliament, the latest development in the ongoing political crisis.
Parliamentary elections are likely to be held Feb 24, 2013, as under Italian law a date for the vote should be set within 70 days of the dissolution of parliament.
Former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has already declared his intention to take part in the elections.
On Saturday, Napolitano met representatives of the country`s parliamentary political parties and groups at his Quirinal Palace residence. The dissolution of parliament was the only way out of the situation, he said.
Prime Minister Mario Monti announced his intention to resign Dec 8, several days after Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party made it clear they would no longer support the technocratic government that formed following Berlusconi`s resignation in November 2011.
In the days that followed, Berlusconi launched repeated attacks on Monti`s policies, accusing him of damaging the country`s economy and even of implementing policies that benefit third countries, such as Germany.
Monti resigned Dec 21, claiming that he was keeping his word - stepping down once Parliament had passed his controversial austerity budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!