Italian Parliament dissolved, elections to be held in February
Rome: Italian President Giorgio Napolitano has dissolved the country`s Parliament, the latest development in the ongoing political crisis.
Parliamentary elections are likely to be held Feb 24, 2013, as under Italian law a date for the vote should be set within 70 days of the dissolution of parliament.
Former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi has already declared his intention to take part in the elections.
On Saturday, Napolitano met representatives of the country`s parliamentary political parties and groups at his Quirinal Palace residence. The dissolution of parliament was the only way out of the situation, he said.
Prime Minister Mario Monti announced his intention to resign Dec 8, several days after Berlusconi`s People of Freedom party made it clear they would no longer support the technocratic government that formed following Berlusconi`s resignation in November 2011.
In the days that followed, Berlusconi launched repeated attacks on Monti`s policies, accusing him of damaging the country`s economy and even of implementing policies that benefit third countries, such as Germany.
Monti resigned Dec 21, claiming that he was keeping his word - stepping down once Parliament had passed his controversial austerity budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- CBSE Class 10th Results 2016: (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th result 2016, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016, CBSE Board 10th Class results to be declared today
- Watch video: Zeus the husky throws the most priceless tantrum; refuses get off the couch!
- Five killed as boiler bursts in private chemical company in Dombivli township
- HRD Ministry directs UGC to amend regulations regarding workload of teachers
- PM Modi-led govt completes two years; Facebook tracks his journey on social media