Italian PM at risk with no-confidence motion
Rome: Italy`s opposition presented a no-confidence motion against Premier Silvio Berlusconi on Friday, setting the stage for a showdown in Parliament that could spell the end of the government.
The opposition Democratic Party and the allied Italy of Values party co-sponsored the motion in the lower Chamber of Deputies. No date has been set for it to be discussed.
Berlusconi`s government has been in a tailspin for months, fuelled most recently by allegations of his involvement with prostitutes and a 17-year old Moroccan girl.
But the political crisis accelerated over the weekend when his estranged ally Gianfranco Fini formally called on him to resign and remake a strengthened coalition.
The no-confidence motion will now force Fini and his allies, whose support is crucial to the Premier, to choose whether to support him or bring the government down.
Democratic Party leader Pierlugi Bersani urged Fini and his allied lawmakers to vote with the opposition, saying: "I would like to believe that all those who think that this phase is finished be coherent and this is the occasion to show it."
Italy`s centre-left opposition has to date been unable to capitalise on mounting dissatisfaction with Berlusconi`s efforts to pass a law that would spare him and other top office holders from prosecution while in office.
But the 74-year-old Berlusconi`s alliances with younger women have now cost him support from some conservative supporters and appear to have been the final straw that prompted Fini to issue his weekend ultimatum: resign or face the consequences.
Berlusconi still has an out that would keep him in power: In Italy`s Byzantine politics, prime ministers can resign, and have done so, only to receive a new mandate with a strengthened coalition. Berlusconi himself did that during his previous stint in power from 2001 to 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video