Italian PM Berlusconi punched, hospitalised
Rome: Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was bloodied and knocked to the ground by an attacker shortly after a political meeting in the Italian city of Milan on Sunday.
Berlusconi, who was hit in the face and bleeding profusely from the mouth, was rushed to Milan`s San Rafaelle hospital.
Conflicting witness reports said Berlusconi was either punched in the face or struck by a miniature replica of the Milan Cathedral.
A medical examination revealed that Berlusconi had suffered damage to two teeth and also had cuts around his mouth. The Prime Minister never lost consciousness, but was being held in the hospital overnight while further tests were conducted.
Media reports identified the alleged attacker as Massimo Tartaglia, a man in his early 40s. Tartaglia allegedly approached the 73-year-old Prime Minister as he was leaving a rally of his People of Freedom party.
Tartaglia, a graphic artist employed at his father`s firm near Milan, had been receiving treatment for psychological problems for at least 10 years, media reports said.
Berlusconi`s spokesman Paolo Bonaiuti, who accompanied the Premier to the hospital, said the attack was the result of "tensions" in the country caused by the repeated criticism of the Premier by the centre-left opposition.
According to Bonaiuti, it was a concern expressed earlier in the day by Berlusconi himself, while the Premier was travelling to Milan to attend a rally in the northern city in advance of regional elections in March.
"There is a climate of hate. I hope nothing will happen," Berlusconi told Bonaiuti, the spokesman said.
"Unfortunately, he (Berlusconi) turned out to be a good prophet," Bonaiuti said.
Reform Minister Umberto Bossi described it as a "terrorist act". The attack was also condemned by opposition parties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’