Italian PM raises spy claims at Kerry talks
Rome: Prime Minister Enrico Letta on Wednesday discussed claims of US snooping on Italian communications with US Secretary of State John Kerry during talks in Rome, a government spokeswoman said.
"The question was raised about the need to verify the truthfulness of the allegations that are circulating," the spokeswoman told a news agency.
She said the US side was "cooperative" and had promised to "review" the issue.
The reports have caused anger in Italy and prompted calls for Washington to explain itself.
Kerry and Letta also discussed the situation in Afghanistan, Libya and Syria as well as Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, the source said.
As the two met, Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said: "We have a duty to give Italian citizens certainty. We need to find out the truth and tell the truth without being intimidated".
Reports over the snooping have already angered French and Mexican officials and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told Kerry in Paris at a meeting on Tuesday that it was "unacceptable".
The Italian media, citing fugitive US leaker Edward Snowden, reported that Skype calls, e-mails and web searches were being monitored also in Italy.
The reports also said Italian parliamentarians had been told by the National Security Agency that the monitoring helped prevent an attack by Algerian militants in Naples in September 2010.
Kerry landed in Rome yesterday from London where he attended a meeting of the Friends of Syria group of 11 countries that agreed with Syrian opposition leaders that President Bashar al-Assad should play no future role in government.
Kerry was due today to meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is also in Rome, to discuss Iran, Syria and the status of talks with the Palestinians, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'