Italian President warns of wave of violence

Last Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 08:18

Rome: Days after a bomb attack which killed a student in an Italian city, President Giorgio Napolitano has warned of a new wave of violence reminiscent of past decades in the country, Xinhua reported.

Speaking at a ceremony held on the 20th death anniversary of an anti-Mafia judge Giovanni Falcone, President Napolitano said : "I do not exclude (the possibility of) the return of organised attacks. We cannot count it out."

Falcone, who led trials of hundreds of Mafiosi, or Mafia members in the 1980s, was blown up 20 years ago by the Sicilian Cosa Nostra mafia, along with his wife and three bodyguards.

Last week, a bomb attack targeted young students near Brindisi city, killing a 16-year-old student at the Morvillo Falcone fashion trade school, named after the Falcone`s wife.

Though "the mafia, Cosa Nostra and other forms of organised crime remain a serious problem for Italian society and thus for democracy”, Napolitano said that "we were not intimidated, we did not allow fear and terror to be sown, neither in 1992 nor in other difficult and dismaying periods of time. We are not about to give in now."

Italy has recently seen a rise in threats and extremist acts against authorities. Some people link the violence to austerity measures implemented since Prime Minister Mario Monti`s caretaker government of technocrats replaced the Berlusconi administration last November.

IANS



First Published: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 08:18

comments powered by Disqus