Italian town councillor sacked for giving fascist salute
Rapallo: The mayor of the northwestern Italian coastal town of Rapallo has fired a local councillor who was photographed giving a fascist salute outside a church after a mass to commemorate late fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.
In the photographs, culture councillor Gianni Arena was also pictured with fascist era memorabilia, Italy`s La Stampa daily reported on Wednesday.
The photos were published by the Liguria region`s Secolo XIX newspaper after they were posted to an Italian fascist sympathiser`s page on the social networking website Facebook.
Rapallo`s Mayor Mentore Campodonico sacked Arena as the centre-left opposition Democratic Party was gathering signatures from councillors in support of Arena`s removal from office.
In a statement announcing Arena`s dismissal, Rapallo`s Mayor Mentore Campodonico said the "symbolic gravity" of Arena`s fascist salute was "clearly incompatible" with the role of town councillor.
Amid a growing political row sparked by the photos, the ruling conservative People of Freedom party to which Arena belongs had referred him to its disciplinary body, La Stampa said.
Prosecutors in the nearby city of Chiavari are investigating the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach