Italian univ to teach English to attract Indians?
London: Keen to attract students from India, China and other countries, a leading Italian university has decided to teach its courses exclusively in the English language, signifying a major shift in Italy`s higher education sector.
Amidst increasing global competition in the higher education sector, top officials of the Politecnico di Milano, established in 1863, believe that if it retains Italian as its language of instruction, it risked isolation and will not be able to compete as an international institution.
As the university`s move reinforcing English as an international language sent ripples across other Italian universities, the higher education minister, Francesco Profumo, told La Stampa newspaper that he hoped other leading institutions in the country would follow suit.
Switching to English by the Milan-based university has been described as a `cultural earthquake`, attracting much criticism within the country.
The university has announced that from 2014, most of its degree courses will be taught and assessed entirely in English.
Making English the language of instruction will enable the university to attract students from India, China and other countries, as well as "contribute to the growth of the country", the rector, Giovanni Azzone, told the BBC.
Azzone acknowledged that the Italian language was an entry barrier for overseas students, particularly when recruiting from places such as China and India.
The move is likely to attract some UK students due to the steep increase in university fees in the country and the comparatively lower fees levied in Italian universities.
Azzone said: "We strongly believe our classes should be international classes - and the only way to have international classes is to use the English language".
He added: "It`s very important for our students not only to have very good technical skills, but also to work in an international environment."
The Italian university switching to English reflects the trend in several non-English speaking countries to adopt the language as the medium of instruction, particularly some universities in China and South Korea.
English has been the medium of instruction in most Indian universities since independence in 1947.
Thousands of Indian students enrol in courses in universities in the US, UK and elsewhere every year, reflecting increasingly globalised nature of higher education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'