Italian woman injured in Taliban attack dies
Rome: An Italian woman official with the International Organisation for Migration died after she was badly burned in a Taliban attack in Kabul in May.
Barbara De Anna died at a hospital Friday in Ramstein, Germany, where she was flown for treatment for burns to 90 percent of her body following the May 24 attack in the Afghan capital.
The 40-year-old native of Florence worked for the IOM`s refugee returns programme.
"I was deeply saddened to hear the news of Barbara De Anna`s death. My thoughts are with her family, to whom I sent my most sincere condolences," Italian Foreign Minister Emma Bonino said.
Bonino paid tribute to De Anna "and other aid workers like her who are operating in the most remote and difficult areas, embodying the best of Italian values".
De Anna`s death brought to five the total number of people killed in the Taliban attack.
Fourteen people were injured in the assault, including five foreigners, according to Afghan police.
Besides De Anna, four Afghans lost their lives -- a policeman, two security agents and a six-year-old boy, Afghan police said.
De Anna was staying at a guesthouse used by the IOM, located in a diplomatic area of Kabul, where 400 Italian troops are serving with the NATO-led ISAF mission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview