Italy: 7 convicted for failure to give quake warning
L’aquila: Seven scientists and experts were reportedly convicted by an Italian court on Monday for failure on their part to issue a warning for an earthquake that struck central Italy in 2009 killing over 300 people.
The convicted scientists and experts were given a sentence of six-years in prison, as per reports.
In Italy, convictions aren`t definitive until after an appeals trial, so it is unlikely any of the defendants would face jail immediately.
Scientists worldwide had decried the trial as ridiculous, contending that science has no way to predict quakes.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Football Tourism: PSG will receive $197 million to promote tourism in Qatar
- Nitin Gadkari appointed as BJP election in-charge for Goa Assembly polls
- Xiaomi Redmi 4, Redmi Note 4 likely to be launched on Thursday
- Cabinet raises compensation for terror, blast victims
- Present ICC ranking system is not satisfactory: Javed Miandad