Italy airport closes after migrant riot
Rome: Italian news reports say a military airport in Sardinia has been closed following a riot by illegal migrants at a holding centre.
State-run RAI television and the ANSA news agency said a handful of Algerian migrants managed to escape from the centre onto the airstrip of the Elmas airport near Cagliari on Monday but were quickly apprehended.
ANSA said 10 people were arrested.
There have been a handful of riots at the holding centre in recent weeks, with detainees burning mattresses and breaking closed-circuit televisions. The detainees are mostly Algerian migrants who arrived in Sardinia by boat and are awaiting asylum procedures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui