Italy airport closes after migrant riot
Rome: Italian news reports say a military airport in Sardinia has been closed following a riot by illegal migrants at a holding centre.
State-run RAI television and the ANSA news agency said a handful of Algerian migrants managed to escape from the centre onto the airstrip of the Elmas airport near Cagliari on Monday but were quickly apprehended.
ANSA said 10 people were arrested.
There have been a handful of riots at the holding centre in recent weeks, with detainees burning mattresses and breaking closed-circuit televisions. The detainees are mostly Algerian migrants who arrived in Sardinia by boat and are awaiting asylum procedures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- New protein gives new hope for Alzheimer's cure!
- Android users can now enjoy Prisma app!
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement
- WATCH: UNPLAYABLE! Have you seen this 'T20 ball of the century' by R Ashwin?
- Flood alert: Situation remains grim in Assam, Arunachal, railways affected in Bihar