Italy airport closes after migrant riot
Rome: Italian news reports say a military airport in Sardinia has been closed following a riot by illegal migrants at a holding centre.
State-run RAI television and the ANSA news agency said a handful of Algerian migrants managed to escape from the centre onto the airstrip of the Elmas airport near Cagliari on Monday but were quickly apprehended.
ANSA said 10 people were arrested.
There have been a handful of riots at the holding centre in recent weeks, with detainees burning mattresses and breaking closed-circuit televisions. The detainees are mostly Algerian migrants who arrived in Sardinia by boat and are awaiting asylum procedures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference