Italy airport closes after migrant riot
Rome: Italian news reports say a military airport in Sardinia has been closed following a riot by illegal migrants at a holding centre.
State-run RAI television and the ANSA news agency said a handful of Algerian migrants managed to escape from the centre onto the airstrip of the Elmas airport near Cagliari on Monday but were quickly apprehended.
ANSA said 10 people were arrested.
There have been a handful of riots at the holding centre in recent weeks, with detainees burning mattresses and breaking closed-circuit televisions. The detainees are mostly Algerian migrants who arrived in Sardinia by boat and are awaiting asylum procedures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire