Italy airport closes after migrant riot
Rome: Italian news reports say a military airport in Sardinia has been closed following a riot by illegal migrants at a holding centre.
State-run RAI television and the ANSA news agency said a handful of Algerian migrants managed to escape from the centre onto the airstrip of the Elmas airport near Cagliari on Monday but were quickly apprehended.
ANSA said 10 people were arrested.
There have been a handful of riots at the holding centre in recent weeks, with detainees burning mattresses and breaking closed-circuit televisions. The detainees are mostly Algerian migrants who arrived in Sardinia by boat and are awaiting asylum procedures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Battles in Libya's Sirte kill 34 fighters, injure over 180
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics