Italy arrests 17 on tip-offs from murdered mafia informant
Rome: Italian police on Tuesday arrested 17 suspected gangsters thanks to information on brutal gang wars that a mafia informant had provided before being murdered.
Lea Garofalo, who was kidnapped, tortured and murdered in 2009 by her former partner for informing on the powerful `Ndrangheta syndicate, had provided investigators with key details on the murder of seven people between 1989 and 2007, police said.
Based on her testimony, police launched raids across Italy, from Calabria to Emilia Romagna and Lombardia, arresting 17 people accused of murder, harbouring illegal firearms and drug trafficking.
Police did not say why it took some four years to act on her tip-offs to make the arrests.
Garofalo, 35, gave investigators details of a bloody civil war between two `Ndrangheta families that left 40 dead, and was living under a witness protection programme when she was lured to Milan by her ex-partner who used their daughter as bait.
The burnt remains of her body, initially thought to have been dissolved in acid, were discovered last year.
The `Ndrangheta -- whose name comes from the Greek for courage or loyalty -- has a tight clan structure which has made it famously difficult to penetrate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post