Italy: Earthquake toll rises to seven
Rome: The toll from a 5.9-magnitude quake in northern Italy rose to seven on Monday.
The seventh victim of Sunday`s 5.9-magnitude tremor was an 86-year-old woman who died from a stroke after the quake, Xinhua reported.
Four workers, including a young foreign migrant, died in the collapse of three factories near the city of Ferrara in the central Emilia Romagna region.
A 100-year-old woman was killed in her bed and another 37-year-old woman died of a heart attack during the quake.
At least 50 people were injured, and about 3,000 people were displaced from their homes.
According to Italy`s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV), the quake epicentre was located between the cities of Ferrara and Modena at a depth of 6.3 km.
The tremor was felt in Tuscany, Piedmont and Lombardy regions.
Prime Minister Mario Monti, who is in the US to attend a NATO summit, decided to return early and was expected to arrive in Italy on Monday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing