Italy gives OK to right capsized Costa Concordia
Rome: Italy has given the go-ahead for an ambitious attempt to set upright the Costa Concordia cruise liner, which went aground near an Italian island in 2012, killing 32 people.
The national Civil Protection agency on Friday said the operation will be carried out later this month, once final safety certificates are issued. The exact date depends on calm seas near Giglio Island.
If engineers and crews succeed in righting the Concordia, the vessel will be eventually towed to a port for dismantling.
The manslaughter trial of the Concordia`s captain, Francesco Schettino, resumes on September 23. The ship struck a reef, took on water and listed badly before capsizing off Giglio`s port.
Prosecutors alleged Schettino steered the boat too close to shore. Schettino claims the reef didn`t appear on his navigational charts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’