Italy govt in peril as Silvio Berlusconi ministers quit coalition
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Rome: Italian President Giorgio Napolitano was mulling on options to avoid another elections after all five ministers from Silvio Berlusconi’s party quit the ruling coalition just days ahead of a Senate committee vote that was to decide on revoking the former PM’s legislative seat in light of his conviction in tax fraud case.
The resignations would prove to be a strong blow to an already wobbly Italian government, which was stiched in february this year by an unusal coming together of rival parties.
The latest twist in Italian politics is set to plunge the country back to the phase of instability and uncertainty as President Giorgio Napolitano would decide if new elections would be necessary.
The withdrawal of five ministers belonging to Berlusconi’s centre-right People of Liberty Party from the coalition has invited strong reaction from PM Enrico Letta who said it was a "mad and irresponsible" act of Burlusconi.
Berlusconi’s ministers quit the coalition citing the government’s inability to revoke an increase to Italy`s sales tax that comes into effect next week.
However, PM Letta called it as an “alibi” claiming that Berlusconi was pressurizing the government on sales tax issue only to justify his “crazy and irresponsible gesture, all aimed only to cover up his personal affairs."
A Senate vote next week was set to strip Berlusconi of his Senate seat because of his tax fraud conviction.
Italy, the eurozone`s third largest economy, is already in a tottering economic condition and any further political instability which seems very obvious in wake of Berlusconi’s act, will not augur well for the country’s recession, debt and high rate of unemployment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees