Italy: Man held for beating wife for removing veil
Rome: An Egyptian Muslim man was held by the police for allegedly beating his Tunisian wife after she removed her veil in the torrid summer heat on the Italian island of Sicily.
The 20-year-old pregnant woman was rushed to hospital in the Sicilian city of Agrigento.
Witnesses described it as an "out-of-control violent reaction" by her 19-year-old husband after she removed her head scarf during a visit to her family in Porto Empedocle, a small maritime town near Agrigento.
Unable to stop him, the witnesses called the police.
Around three percent of predominantly Catholic Italy`s 60 million people are Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez