Italy: Man held for beating wife for removing veil
Rome: An Egyptian Muslim man was held by the police for allegedly beating his Tunisian wife after she removed her veil in the torrid summer heat on the Italian island of Sicily.
The 20-year-old pregnant woman was rushed to hospital in the Sicilian city of Agrigento.
Witnesses described it as an "out-of-control violent reaction" by her 19-year-old husband after she removed her head scarf during a visit to her family in Porto Empedocle, a small maritime town near Agrigento.
Unable to stop him, the witnesses called the police.
Around three percent of predominantly Catholic Italy`s 60 million people are Muslims.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan