Italy: Man held for beating wife for removing veil
Rome: An Egyptian Muslim man was held by the police for allegedly beating his Tunisian wife after she removed her veil in the torrid summer heat on the Italian island of Sicily.
The 20-year-old pregnant woman was rushed to hospital in the Sicilian city of Agrigento.
Witnesses described it as an "out-of-control violent reaction" by her 19-year-old husband after she removed her head scarf during a visit to her family in Porto Empedocle, a small maritime town near Agrigento.
Unable to stop him, the witnesses called the police.
Around three percent of predominantly Catholic Italy`s 60 million people are Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites