Italy: Man held for beating wife for removing veil
Rome: An Egyptian Muslim man was held by the police for allegedly beating his Tunisian wife after she removed her veil in the torrid summer heat on the Italian island of Sicily.
The 20-year-old pregnant woman was rushed to hospital in the Sicilian city of Agrigento.
Witnesses described it as an "out-of-control violent reaction" by her 19-year-old husband after she removed her head scarf during a visit to her family in Porto Empedocle, a small maritime town near Agrigento.
Unable to stop him, the witnesses called the police.
Around three percent of predominantly Catholic Italy`s 60 million people are Muslims.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro