Italy mourns boat mishap, weather halts search for bodies
Rome: A day after a boat believed to be carrying over 500 migrants, mainly from Eritrea and Somalia, caught fire and sank off Lampedusa in Italy, inclement weather forced divers to halt their search for hundreds of the missing migrants.
Around 100 corpses were believed to be trapped in the submerged wreck of the ship, and over 100 more bodies have recovered so far. It is feared that over 300 of the ship`s approximately 500 passengers perished in the tragedy, whose victims include women and children.
Rescuers have saved 155 migrants and 111 bodies had been recovered so far, Italy`s deputy prime minister Angelino Alfano told parliament Friday after visiting Lampedusa.
The 66-foot people-smuggling boat had set sail from Libya and most of the migrants were from Somalia, Eritrea and Ghana, officials said.
The European Union needed to give more assistance to Italy in handling migration in the Mediterranean he said, echoing earlier calls from Rome.
"To fight the traffickers in human death requires an integrated strategy and the cooperation of the countries from which the migrants set off, as well as their police forces," Alfano said.
The government declared Friday a national day of mourning and schools were due to observe a minute`s silence in a mark of respect for those who had died.
Pope Francis said Friday was a "day of tears" for the victims of the Lampedusa shipwreck, which he earlier called "shameful".
A spokesman for EU home affairs minister Cecilia Malmstroem said, the 27-member bloc was open to helping Italy manage the influx of migrants and refugees from strife-torn countries in Africa and the Middle East.
Lampedusa is now the main arrival-point for migrants seeking to reach Europe by sea and thousands land each year on the tiny southernmost Italian island and elsewhere on Italy`s southern coast.
Earlier Thursday, reports said around 120 people were rescued and more than 100 bodies brought to shore including those of women and several children.
On Thursday, Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta, following a cabinet meet, had declared a day of national mourning Friday for the hundreds of migrants feared dead in a shipwreck off the southern island of Lampedusa.
The shipwreck drew condemnation from Pope Francis and from charities including Amnesty and Save the Children, who urged Italy and the European Union to step up efforts patrol their coasts and rescue migrants.
Top EU officials admitted more required to be done to protect migrants heading to Europe by sea.
Regional Politics Commissioner Johannes Hahn said the bloc needed to look at ways of helping Italy, the main arrival point for the people-smuggling boats.
Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem urged effective global cooperation to protect migrants and increase legal immigration to Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow