Italy nabs brother of Mafia `boss of bosses` Riina
Rome: Italian police have arrested the brother of the Sicilian Mafia`s one-time top boss in another blow to Cosa Nostra on the island.
Carabinieri police said in a statement on Friday that Gaetano Riina was one of four people arrested on mafia association and extortion charges.
Riina took over as head of the Corleone clan following the 1993 arrest of his brother, "boss of bosses" Salvatore "Toto" Riina.
In recent years, several top Mafia bosses have been arrested, seriously weakening the Sicilian mob while other crime syndicates on the Italian mainland have grown stronger, including the Camorra in the Naples area and the `ndrangheta in southern Calabria.
Police said the three-year investigation showed how powerful Corleone remained, despite the arrest of top bosses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city