Italy nabs brother of Mafia `boss of bosses` Riina
Rome: Italian police have arrested the brother of the Sicilian Mafia`s one-time top boss in another blow to Cosa Nostra on the island.
Carabinieri police said in a statement on Friday that Gaetano Riina was one of four people arrested on mafia association and extortion charges.
Riina took over as head of the Corleone clan following the 1993 arrest of his brother, "boss of bosses" Salvatore "Toto" Riina.
In recent years, several top Mafia bosses have been arrested, seriously weakening the Sicilian mob while other crime syndicates on the Italian mainland have grown stronger, including the Camorra in the Naples area and the `ndrangheta in southern Calabria.
Police said the three-year investigation showed how powerful Corleone remained, despite the arrest of top bosses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’