Italy nabs brother of Mafia `boss of bosses` Riina
Rome: Italian police have arrested the brother of the Sicilian Mafia`s one-time top boss in another blow to Cosa Nostra on the island.
Carabinieri police said in a statement on Friday that Gaetano Riina was one of four people arrested on mafia association and extortion charges.
Riina took over as head of the Corleone clan following the 1993 arrest of his brother, "boss of bosses" Salvatore "Toto" Riina.
In recent years, several top Mafia bosses have been arrested, seriously weakening the Sicilian mob while other crime syndicates on the Italian mainland have grown stronger, including the Camorra in the Naples area and the `ndrangheta in southern Calabria.
Police said the three-year investigation showed how powerful Corleone remained, despite the arrest of top bosses.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev