Italy: Olive tree to be named after Michelle Obama
Rome: A 1,400-year-old olive tree in Italy will be dedicated to American first lady Michelle Obama for her efforts to promote healthy eating.
The dedication ceremony will be held on May 25 in southern Puglia region during a festival to celebrate Italy`s Mediterranean diet, Italian news agency AKI reported.
During the ceremony, the seventh-century tree dubbed "the Queen" will be dedicated to the US President`s wife as recognition for her work to educate Americans about the importance of a healthy diet that encompasses many of the eating traditions in Italy and other Mediterranean countries.
Some of the tree`s oil will be sent to the White House starting this year. The tree is able to produce 100 kg of oil per year.
Michelle Obama has used her high-profile position to educate Americans about the importance of healthy food.
She has planted an organic garden at the White House, visited schools, made television appearances and targeted military mess halls in her campaign for better eating.
The Mediterranean diet - based on fruit, vegetables and olive oil as well as a daily glass of red wine - has been recognised worldwide as a way to promote a healthy lifestyle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand