Italy party says `hacker attack` on presidential poll
Rome: An Italian protest party said its website had come under a "hacker attack" that would force it to hold a new online poll among its members on Friday to identify possible candidates for president.
"The voting on the president yesterday came under a hacker attack," the Five Star Movement led by former comedian Beppe Grillo said on its blog.
"We have therefore decided to cancel yesterday`s vote and hold a new one today with higher levels of security," the statement said.
The top 10 names selected will be voted on again on Monday to come up with the party`s candidate for president, which in Italy is elected by Parliament.
The party said earlier that the country`s two-main political forces -- the centre-right and centre-left -- were deciding on candidates in "secret rooms" and said it wanted "a public and democratic consultation".
Among the possible names mentioned by M5S supporters on social media was Gino Strada, the outspoken head of the international medical charity Emergency, and Milena Gabanelli, an investigative journalist on public television.
A joint session of Parliament is due to meet to begin voting for a new president on Thursday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!