Italy polls: Activists strip when Berlusconi comes to vote
Rome: Activists of Ukrainian women`s rights group Femen stripped to the waist at a polling station in Milan where ex-premier Silvio Berlusconi arrived to vote in Italy`s General Election, state TV reported.
Three activists of the feminist group lunged at Berlusconi as he arrived at the polling station on Sunday.
The women held a topless protest, wearing only jeans, under the slogan "Basta Berlusconi" (Enough with Berlusconi), Rai News24 reported.
Two Ukrainian and one French woman participated in the protest, Agi news agency reported.
The activists were quickly arrested by police, who struggled to put their jackets and handcuffs on the women.
Italy`s Parliamentary Elections, which are seen as crucial for the country`s effort to address its economic problems, kicked off on Sunday. Recent estimates gave a lead to Pier Luigi Bersani`s centre-left alliance, thought to be a few points ahead of the centre-right bloc led by three-time premier Berlusconi.
Ukraine`s radical feminist movement Femen was established in 2008 and devoted mainly to protests on women`s issues.
Later, the group made headlines for pro-democracy and anti-corruption protests in Russia, Ukraine and London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof