Italy polls: Activists strip when Berlusconi comes to vote
Rome: Activists of Ukrainian women`s rights group Femen stripped to the waist at a polling station in Milan where ex-premier Silvio Berlusconi arrived to vote in Italy`s General Election, state TV reported.
Three activists of the feminist group lunged at Berlusconi as he arrived at the polling station on Sunday.
The women held a topless protest, wearing only jeans, under the slogan "Basta Berlusconi" (Enough with Berlusconi), Rai News24 reported.
Two Ukrainian and one French woman participated in the protest, Agi news agency reported.
The activists were quickly arrested by police, who struggled to put their jackets and handcuffs on the women.
Italy`s Parliamentary Elections, which are seen as crucial for the country`s effort to address its economic problems, kicked off on Sunday. Recent estimates gave a lead to Pier Luigi Bersani`s centre-left alliance, thought to be a few points ahead of the centre-right bloc led by three-time premier Berlusconi.
Ukraine`s radical feminist movement Femen was established in 2008 and devoted mainly to protests on women`s issues.
Later, the group made headlines for pro-democracy and anti-corruption protests in Russia, Ukraine and London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why