Italy president assigns facilitators to end impasse
Rome: Italian President Giorgio Napolitano has asked 10 experts and political figures to help solve the political impasse stemming from February`s inconclusive general elections.
The figures included the former president of Italy`s Constitutional Court, Valerio Onida, the head of national statistics institute Istat Enrico Giovannini, as well as leading politicians belonging to the main forces in parliament, reports Xinhua.
Napolitano`s decision follows intensive but fruitless meetings with parties Friday to try to reach a consensus after Pier Luigi Bersani, whose center-left coalition was the most voted in the Feb 24-25 elections, failed to persuade the other forces to support a center-Left government.
Earlier Saturday, Napolitano said two groups with "political-institutional and socio-economic" nature would start working Tuesday on a sort of programmatic report while helping him find consensus on a new government.
The 87-year-old president clarified he would remain in office until his term expires May 15, ruling out speculations of early resignation that would allow his successor to call for fresh general voting.
Italy`s president is not allowed to dissolve parliament in the final months of his mandate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened