Italy rescues 200 migrants from rickety boat in Mediterranean
Rome: The Italian navy said on Saturday it had rescued 200 migrants, including women and children, attempting the perilous journey across the Mediterranean by boat in rough winter seas.
A military vessel swept to the aid of the refugees travelling in a rickety, overcrowded boat without life jackets, read a navy statement.
The interior ministry said 1,050 migrants had arrived in the country in the 11 days since the start of the year and officials were looking for places to house them.
The Italian government has launched a major operation called "Mare Nostrum", mobilising warships, amphibious vessels and aircraft to try prevent further tragedies like the two shipwrecks in October in which more than 400 immigrants died.
Immigration charities estimate that between 17,000 and 20,000 migrants have died at sea trying to reach Europe over the past 20 years, often crossing on rickety fishing boats or rubber dinghies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read