Italy says Herat could be handed to Afghans by 2011: Report
Rome: The Afghan city of Herat could be under Afghan control by the end of 2011, Italian Defence Minister Ignazio La Russa said today after talks with US General David Petraeus, Ansa news agency reported.
"I think that by the end of 2011 several districts in the western zone could be handed over. Herat, for example, is already a zone that could be ready," La Russa said at the
meeting in an air force base in Milan in northern Italy.
"Our objective is to give back the territory to the Afghan government and army so that they can continue the action against terrorism and launch a process of normalisation
of that territory," La Russa said.
After the end of 2011, "combat soldiers can be reduced but trainers will remain. 2011 could be an important year," he added. Petraeus, the top US commander in Afghanistan, will take part in a meeting of the International Contact Group on Afghanistan in Rome on Monday.
The NATO alliance, facing waning public support for the war, is anxious to begin a transition next year that would have Afghan army and police taking over from US-led troops in some parts of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city