Italy seizes record 1.7 billion euro from Sicilian
Rome: Italian police have seized a record USD 1.7 billion in cash and property from a single person, a Sicilian alternative energy entrepreneur alleged to have close ties to the Mafia.
Italy`s anti-Mafia investigators said in a statement today that Vito Nicastri, a 57-year-old native of Alcamo, near Trapani, was placed under surveillance and must remain in Alcamo for three years.
He is accused of declaring for tax purposes a fraction of the value of his businesses.
Italian media have dubbed Nicastri the "king of alternative energy" for his vast holdings in wind farms and photovoltaic cell companies.
Police said the seizures include 43 companies; 98 pieces of real estate including buildings, homes, stores and land; 66 bank accounts, credit cards and investment funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview