Italy Senate to vote on Berlusconi expulsion November 27
Rome: Italy`s Senate on Tuesday announced it will vote on November 27 on whether to strip former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi of his seat under a law banning convicted criminals from Parliament.
Ejection from the Senate following his conviction for tax fraud would mean Berlusconi being out of parliament for the first time since 1994, when the media and construction magnate first burst onto Italy`s political scene.
His centre-right People of Freedom (PDL) party immediately announced an appeal in a bid to delay the moment the political guillotine will fall for a man who has dominated Italian affairs of state for the past two decades.
A special cross-party Senate committee dominated by his political opponents recommended last month that he be expelled from Parliament.
The full Senate must vote before Berlusconi can be ousted, but the 77-year-old media magnate`s supporters are in the minority.
Berlusconi was given a 12-month sentence after the Supreme Court on August 1 turned down his final appeal in the tax fraud case, handing him his first ever definitive conviction in a long history of legal woes.
He was also barred from holding public office for two years, which means however the Senate votes he is likely to lose his seat.
The flamboyant ex-premier has asked to serve his sentence in the form of community service and could find himself working in an old people`s home, stacking shelves in a supermarket or cleaning up graffiti.
The punishment is not likely to be meted out before next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees