Italy`s cruise ship captain `was like a Ferrari driver`
London: Francesco Schettino, the captain of an Italian cruise ship who allegedly crashed his luxury liner into rocks off the island of Giglio has been accused of skippering the ship "like a Ferrari" driver, a media report said Wednesday.
"If I had to make a comparison, we got the impression that he would drive a bus like a Ferrari," Martino Pellegrino, one of the officers on board the Costa Concordia, told Italy`s La Repubblica newspaper.
Salvage work was expected to begin on the ship later Wednesday, as hopes faded that any more survivors would be rescued, the Telegraph reported.
The search was suspended early Wednesday morning after the ship shifted on the rock. Twenty-four people remain missing, while 11 people have so far been found dead.
Pellegrino said captain Schettino was an "authoritarian" who was often "inflexible" in the way he commanded the giant liner as it cruised the Mediterranean.
The captain`s sister, Giulia Schettino, said he had been unfairly subjected to "mud-slinging" and the accusations against him had not yet been proved.
Italians have been transfixed by the release of dramatic audio tapes in which furious Coast Guard officials questioned why he was in a lifeboat rather than commanding the evacuation of 4,200 passengers and crew once it ran aground, the Telegraph reported.
Schettino has been held in custody in prison in Grosseto, in Tuscany, since being arrested Saturday, hours after the giant cruise ship ran aground on Giglio.
A judge, Valeria Montesarchio, ruled that he should be allowed to remain under house arrest as he awaits trial on accusations of multiple manslaughter and abandoning ship.
The 52-year-old captain denied the allegations through his lawyer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks