Italy`s Letta wins parliament vote, vowing to fight `chaos`
Rome: Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta today won a parliamentary confidence vote triggered by the fall of Silvio Berlusconi, promising to push through a pro-European reform agenda and fight populism.
Letta vowed to bring political stability and economic growth to a country on the point of exiting its longest post-war recession, condemning "chaos" after anti-austerity protests this week across Italy.
"We will not allow Italy to sink again," Letta told lawmakers, promising to "fight with everything I have to avoid our country being thrown back into chaos just as it is beginning to lift itself up again".
"Today we are drawing a clear line. On this side are those who love Europe... Knowing that without the European Union we would plunge into the Middle Ages.
"On that side are those who want to block Europe," he said in a thinly-veiled reference to Berlusconi and the anti-establishment firebrand politician Beppe Grillo.
Letta won the vote in the lower house handily with 379 in favour and 212 against and was expected to get a majority, although by a far narrower margin, in a vote in the upper house scheduled for later on Wednesday.
Letta admitted that instability had "weakened" his government but voiced hope that the confidence vote would give his coalition a stronger mandate to govern and press ahead with much-needed reforms.
He said he would impose further cuts on Italy`s overweight bureaucratic machine and aim for gross domestic product (GDP) growth of 1.0 per cent in 2014 and 2.0 per cent in 2015, while also slashing debt.
"Italy will shake off the image of an unstable, Baroque country that can never decide anything," said Letta, who came to power in April following a two-month stalemate after an inconclusive general election.
Letta also promised to reduce the number of parliamentarians and end public subsidies to political parties -- both reforms that have long been mooted in Italy including by Letta but never carried out.
The vote was called after the scandal-tainted Berlusconi`s party quit the ruling coalition and he was ejected from parliament over a tax fraud conviction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'