Italy’s Monti picks up political support for 2nd term
Rome: The leaders of two small Italian political parties have thrown their support behind Premier Mario Monti for a second term.
Gianfranco Fini, who split with Premier Silvio Berlusconi in 2010 to head his own small party, said today he would support the creation of a national civic list headed by Monti for spring elections.
Pier Ferdinando Casini, leader of a small centrist party, said he would support a Monti candidature as well.
After insisting for months that his term would end in 2013 as scheduled, Monti hinted last week he could stay on for a second term under the right circumstances. Monti was tapped last year to save Italy from its debt crisis.
Despite the growing support, Italy`s two main political parties remain opposed to a second Monti term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says