Italy’s Monti picks up political support for 2nd term
Rome: The leaders of two small Italian political parties have thrown their support behind Premier Mario Monti for a second term.
Gianfranco Fini, who split with Premier Silvio Berlusconi in 2010 to head his own small party, said today he would support the creation of a national civic list headed by Monti for spring elections.
Pier Ferdinando Casini, leader of a small centrist party, said he would support a Monti candidature as well.
After insisting for months that his term would end in 2013 as scheduled, Monti hinted last week he could stay on for a second term under the right circumstances. Monti was tapped last year to save Italy from its debt crisis.
Despite the growing support, Italy`s two main political parties remain opposed to a second Monti term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya