It’s confirmed: Obama skipping APEC in Russia
Aboard Air Force One: Putting a confirmation stamp on the reports doing the rounds, the White House on Monday said that US President Barack Obama won`t attend a major summit of Asia-Pacific leaders in Russia.
White House press secretary Jay Carney made official on Monday what had been assumed for months.
The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit is scheduled to be held on September 01-08. Obama will, however, be busy in re-election campaigns. He will formally accept the nomination for re-election at the Democratic Party national convention in North Carolina on September 06.
Both the United States and Russia deny there is any tit-for-tat involved, since earlier Russia President Vladimir Putin decided to skip a planned high-profile visit to the United States scheduled for this weekend by saying he needs to finish setting up his new government.
Carney said the US President was not offended by Putin`s decision to skip the Group of Eight summit at Camp David, Maryland.
"It was not a surprise, and it does not at all feel like a snub. It was something we understood and understand," Carney told reporters.
But there has been speculation in Russia that Putin did not want to appear conciliatory by accepting Obama`s invitation now because it was assumed Obama would skip the meeting Putin will host later in the year.
(With Agency’s inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!