It’s confirmed: Obama skipping APEC in Russia
Aboard Air Force One: Putting a confirmation stamp on the reports doing the rounds, the White House on Monday said that US President Barack Obama won`t attend a major summit of Asia-Pacific leaders in Russia.
White House press secretary Jay Carney made official on Monday what had been assumed for months.
The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit is scheduled to be held on September 01-08. Obama will, however, be busy in re-election campaigns. He will formally accept the nomination for re-election at the Democratic Party national convention in North Carolina on September 06.
Both the United States and Russia deny there is any tit-for-tat involved, since earlier Russia President Vladimir Putin decided to skip a planned high-profile visit to the United States scheduled for this weekend by saying he needs to finish setting up his new government.
Carney said the US President was not offended by Putin`s decision to skip the Group of Eight summit at Camp David, Maryland.
"It was not a surprise, and it does not at all feel like a snub. It was something we understood and understand," Carney told reporters.
But there has been speculation in Russia that Putin did not want to appear conciliatory by accepting Obama`s invitation now because it was assumed Obama would skip the meeting Putin will host later in the year.
(With Agency’s inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA