Ivory Coast: Coup plot by military exiles foiled
Abidjan: Ivory Coast`s interior minister says authorities have foiled a plot by military exiles loyal to the former president to overthrow the country`s democratically elected government.
Hamed Bakayoko announced on television that a group of officers in exile in Ghana had planned a military operation "with the objective of destabilization."
He showed a video last evening that allegedly was seized from the plotters and said they had planned to broadcast on national television after mounting a coup.
In the video, a man in military uniform accuses Ivorian authorities of being responsible for massacres, and he criticizes the extradition of former President Laurent Gbagbo to the Hague on war crimes charges.
Gbagbo refused to concede defeat after a November 2010 election, setting off months of violence that left some 3,000 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway