Ivory Coast: Coup plot by military exiles foiled
Abidjan: Ivory Coast`s interior minister says authorities have foiled a plot by military exiles loyal to the former president to overthrow the country`s democratically elected government.
Hamed Bakayoko announced on television that a group of officers in exile in Ghana had planned a military operation "with the objective of destabilization."
He showed a video last evening that allegedly was seized from the plotters and said they had planned to broadcast on national television after mounting a coup.
In the video, a man in military uniform accuses Ivorian authorities of being responsible for massacres, and he criticizes the extradition of former President Laurent Gbagbo to the Hague on war crimes charges.
Gbagbo refused to concede defeat after a November 2010 election, setting off months of violence that left some 3,000 people dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender