Ivory Coast: Ex-presidential spokesman arrested
Abidjan (Ivory Coast): An Ivory Coast prosecutor says a spokesman for former President Laurent Gbagbo has been arrested for crimes committed during the West African nation`s recent post-election violence.
Noel Dje Enrike Yahau said Justin Kone Katinan was arrested in Accra, Ghana, on Friday after returning on a flight from Johannesburg. Yahau said Ivorian lawyers are in Accra to negotiate his extradition.
Katinan was wanted under an international arrest warrant for economic crimes. Warrants have been issued for several Gbagbo allies believed to be hiding in West Africa.
At least 3,000 people were killed in Ivory Coast after Gbagbo refused to concede defeat to current President Alassane Ouattara in the November 2010 election. Gbagbo has been accused of crimes against humanity and is being held at the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends