Ivory Coast: Ex-presidential spokesman arrested
Abidjan (Ivory Coast): An Ivory Coast prosecutor says a spokesman for former President Laurent Gbagbo has been arrested for crimes committed during the West African nation`s recent post-election violence.
Noel Dje Enrike Yahau said Justin Kone Katinan was arrested in Accra, Ghana, on Friday after returning on a flight from Johannesburg. Yahau said Ivorian lawyers are in Accra to negotiate his extradition.
Katinan was wanted under an international arrest warrant for economic crimes. Warrants have been issued for several Gbagbo allies believed to be hiding in West Africa.
At least 3,000 people were killed in Ivory Coast after Gbagbo refused to concede defeat to current President Alassane Ouattara in the November 2010 election. Gbagbo has been accused of crimes against humanity and is being held at the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice